The Historic Oakwood Cemetery Preservation Association was founded as an all volunteer organization in 1991. From its inception members were involved in helping to maintain the nearly 160 acres located adjacent to Syracuse University, in raising funds to repair damaged monuments, and in providing public tours of what is in actuality a wonderful outdoor museum.
HOCPA, working with the cemetery board of directors, has been a very active organization. HOCPA publishes a semi-annual newsletter describing their activities. They organize clean up days in the spring (called “Scour the Past”) when members and non-members volunteer time to undo the ravages of winter. In 1992 they began a series of guided tours, offered monthly from May through September. Oakwood Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 through the monumental efforts of HOCPA.
HOCPA is honoring Civil War veterans by making sure they have a marker.
The 1879 mortuary chapel has been an icon in Oakwood Cemetery for well over 100 years.
HOCPA is participating in two projects to reintroduce historic trees to the cemetery.
P.O. Box 15065 Syracuse, NY 13215